Trader Joe’s Mandarin Orange Chicken is the best selling frozen entree from the popular supermarket chain. I pick up a pack or three whenever I stop by Trader Joe’s which isn’t often because it’s just not conveniently located. I stock up on our favorites when I go there, I get at least 4 bags of TJ’s Roasted Plantain Chips and quite a few packages of frozen pork buns. I usually avoid pre-packaged foods but these taste great.
By the way, this is not a sponsored post. I really use and love this product, my family can’t get enough of it. The chicken is battered and bakes up crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
If you like this recipe then you’ll LOVE my recipe for Trader Joe’s Orange Chicken Tacos!
Trader Joe’s Mandarin Orange Chicken comes with two packets of sweet, slightly vinegary sauce to pour over the chicken after cooking. Follow the directions on the bag for making the chicken in the oven. To make this a complete meal I put a batch of rice in the rice cooker and roast a tray of chopped, mixed fresh vegetables in the oven while the chicken is heating. Broccoli is a must, I love roasted broccoli (here’s my basic Roasted Broccoli recipe) and doused with the sweet sauce from the Mandarin Chicken its a real winner. I use whatever vegetables I have in the crisper to add more healthy flavors to the dish. I always have carrots in the fridge, I buy them 5 pounds at a time. Carrots are cheap and delicious so I use them frequently. There are usually a few peppers in there as well and they are perfect to add to this dish. I had a couple of zucchini so those got chopped up and roasted as well.
Warm the sauce packets following the directions on the package. It comes with a lot of sauce, you may not need it all. I combine the chicken and vegetables with the sauce and serve it over the rice. In about 30 minutes its all done.
- 1 bag Trader Joe's Mandarin Orange Chicken
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 ounces of fresh broccoli florets or 2 broccoli stalks
- 3 carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 zucchini
- 3 cups rice, white or brown
- Cook your rice in a rice cooker or stove top
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Place the sauce packets in a bowl of hot tap water to warm them up.
- Follow the direction on the package to cook the Mandarin Orange Chicken in the oven.
- If you are using whole broccoli stalks cut the florets from the stalk and put them on your baking tray
- Peel the stalk and slice it into thin pieces. Add the stalks to the tray
- Peel and slice the carrots
- Chop the red bell pepper and zucchini. Add all the vegetables to the baking tray.
- Toss the vegetables in the oil and spread them out in one layer on the baking tray.
- Put the vegetables in the oven and roast for 15 -20 minutes or until tender
- When the chicken is finished mix the chicken, vegetables and sauce together and serve over rice.
Trader Joe’s Mandarin Orange Chicken