Ain’t no thang but a chicken wang as the saying goes. They’re not just for game day…although Honey Roasted Chicken Wings are PERFECT for game day I do love a chicken wing or two like this recipe for Curry Roast Chicken Wings I posted a few months ago. You can’t beat a succulent, juicy chicken wing for snack or dinner, I think. These would be great with a salad, these noodles or some veggie fried rice.
The best thing about the marinade recipe is that you probably already have all the things you need at home. Save all those condiment packets from take out, mix them up and make a tasty sauce. This wing recipe is easy to make-marinated over night (or for the hours you’re at work) in a mixture of barbecue sauce, hot sauce and soy sauce. Add fresh ground pepper and fresh or powdered ginger then roast (line a baking pan with foil for easy clean up. Put a rack over the foil and your chicken wings on the rack) at 450 degrees and drizzle with a little bit of honey.
Roasting the wings at high heat gives a nice char by caramelizing the sugars in the barbecue sauce. Sometimes, for extra char and crunchy wing tips I put the wings under the broiler for the last minute of cooking. You have to watch them closely if you do this as they can burn very easily. I like to brush the wings with honey in the last 5 minutes of cooking so the flavor doesn’t get diluted in the marinade.
- 4 pounds of chicken wings
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup hot sauce ( more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger OR ½ teaspoon powdered ginger
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ cup honey
- Place chicken wings in a zip top bag (use two if necessary and divide wings and marinade evenly between the two)
- Add the BBQ sauce, soy sauce, hot sauce ginger and pepper to the wings and mix to coat
- Let the wings sit in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours
- Pre heat your oven to 425 degrees You should put the vent on in case it smokes
- Line 2 sheet pans with foil and put a rack on each
- Drain the chicken wings from the marinade and place them on the rack
- Roast the chicken wings for 35 to 45 minutes
- Brush with honey and roast 5 minutes longer