I hope I did not scare you off with chicken fat smashed potatoes. Trust me this is quite possibly the best thing you could ever do to a potato.
This is one of the many dishes I like to create with roast chicken. Here’s the recipe for my simple and delicious roast chicken. I make two on the weekend and we eat fabulously all week.
While the oven is on and your chickens are roasting pop baby potatoes in a skillet and add about half a cup of water, cover so they can steam and get tender. Pour off all the remaining water and pour in some chicken fat and juices from a roasted chicken. Cook on the stove top over medium heat and crush the potatoes and some chopped garlic into the chicken fat while it’s cooking. Flip the potatoes over to finish crisping up the other side and garnish with chopped green onions and cheese if you like. The potatoes will pick up all of the glorious seasonings from your roast chicken as well as becoming crispy in the chicken fat.
I do something similar in my Chicken Under a Skillet Recipe. I just remove the cooked chicken from the cast iron pan and add in some baby potatoes I steamed in the microwave. I use a mug to crush the potatoes into the chicken fat.
- 1 pound baby Yukon gold potatoes
- ¼ cup chicken fat and juices from a roast chicken
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 4 green onions
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar (optional)
- ¼ cuo shredded mozzarella (optional)
- Steam the potatoes in the microwave with water in a plastic wrap covered dish (be sure to leave one corner open to vent the steam) for about 16 minutes
- Roast the potatoes in the oven until tender about 35 minutes at 350 degrees
- Drain any water from the potatoes
- Heat the chicken fat and juices in a 12 inch skillet and add the potatoes
- Chop the garlic and add it to the pan
- Season the potaotes with salt and pepper to taste
- With the bottom of a mug, crush the potatoes into the chicken fat and let them get brown and crispy. Flip over and continue to cook until the other side is crisp. top with cheese (if you're using it) and sliced green onions