This recipe for Chinese Chicken Salad is simple and delicious lunch or week night meal
Recipes like this for Chinese Chicken Salad became popular in America in the mid 1900’s but they probably are not based in authentic Chinese cooking. Authentic or not this salad is a delicious addition to your meal plan.
This is one of those recipes I like to make during the week with chicken I roast on the week end. Roasting a couple of chickens when you have time makes life so much easier during the week. Here’s my simple and delicious roast chicken recipe
I like to use shredded red cabbage in this recipe but feel free to use green cabbage or packaged coleslaw mix as a quick meal solution. I like to keep this dish low carb but feel free to add some soaked rice noodles if you like. Fried wontons are also a great, crunchy addition to this recipe.
Tomatoes are not traditional in Chinese Chicken Salad but I like to add them for extra juiciness.
- 2 cups shredded roast chicken
- 4 cups shredded red or green cabbage (or prepared coleslaw mix)
- 5 green onions
- ½ cup sliced radishes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces of thin rice noodles, soaked according to package directions (optional)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (optional)
- fried wontons (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic grated
- ½ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ½ -1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and toss to combine
- If you are adding fried wontons, just slice the wontons into ½ inch strips and fry in hot canola oil for 30 seconds or until crispy and brown. Add to the top of your salad
Chinese Chicken Salad