This Bourbon Brined Salmon Recipe is a new favorite of mine. The salmon is seasoned with salt and soaked in bourbon and agave nectar then roasted and glazed with more agave. A squeeze of lime cuts the sweetness. MMMM bourbon, agave and lime-sounds like an amazing whiskey sour to me.
Try not to drink the marinade before it’s time to cook your salmon!
Here’s the final dish, I served the salmon with some fresh, crisp greens for lunch. Just squeeze a little lime over the whole thing and you’re good to go.
For a delicious dinner I would serve this salmon with my Garlic and Greens with Shiratake Noodles. This recipe is low in calories and carbohydrates thanks to the shiratake noodles. Shiratake noodles are low in calories, low in carbs and gluten free. These chewy noodles don’t have much flavor of their own making them the perfect vehicle for other flavorful ingredients.
- 1 pound skinless salmon filets
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar plus one additional tablespoon of agave nectar for glazing
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- lime wedges to serve
- Check the salmon for bones, remove them if you find any
- Season both sides of the salmon with salt
- Combine the bourbon and 3 tablespoons of agave nectar in a zip top bag
- Add the salmon filets and coat them with the bourbon mixture
- Refrigerate for 1 hour
- When ready to cook, heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Remove the salmon from the marinade and season with pepper and smoked paprika
- Place the filets on a foil lined sheet pan and bake for 8 minutes
- Remove the salmon filets from the oven and brush with 1 tablespoon of agave nectar
- Broil for 1 minute or so until browned