This recipe for Grilled #SandersonFarms Chicken Panzanella with Peaches and Scallion/ Spinach Dressing makes the most of the best things about SUMMER.
This delicious recipe is sponsored by Sanderson Farms chicken.
This light supper is filled with chicken grilled over hot coals combined with grilled bread and onions, tossed with ripe juicy peaches, tomatoes, peppers and crunchy romaine lettuce. A zesty dressing is made with a puree of scallions and spinach seasoned with lemon juice and blended with fruity olive oil.
Panzanella is a Tuscan salad that incorporates chunks of bread and fresh tomatoes. My non-traditional version is less Tuscan and more Georgia with the addition of fresh peaches!
First spatchcock (remove the backbone and flatten the breast) the chicken like I did for my Chicken Under A Skillet Recipe . Flattening the chicken like this helps to speed up the cooking time.
Season the chicken well and rub both sides with canola oil to keep the chicken from sticking
The Sanderson Farms Facebook page has lots of great recipes and tips, check it out.
Build your fire to one side of your grill and leave the other side empty creating a 2 zone system. Place the chicken on the cool side of the grill cut side down (skin side up) with the legs closest to the fire. Since the legs and thighs of the chicken take longer to cook placing them by the hottest side of the fire will help the chicken cook more evenly. Keep the lid of the grill closed during cooking, check the temperature after 25 minutes.
Once the chicken reaches 155 degrees carefully flip the chicken over skin, side down over the fire. This will crisp the skin, just watch the chicken closely in case the fire flames up. Keep a spray bottle of water to douse any flare ups. Cook the chicken until the temperature reaches 165-170 degrees in the thigh.
A digital thermometer like the one in this Amazon affiliate link can be left in the chicken and set to alert you when the chicken reaches whatever temperature you set it for.
Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest covered with foil for 10 minutes while you grill some slices of bread an onions.
Make the dressing – puree scallions and spinach in a blender or food processor with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. While the blender or food processor is running stream in the olive oil.
Arrange the grilled chicken (i just used the chicken breasts this time and saved the rest of the chicken for another meal) the diced grilled bread and onions over the romaine lettuce, peaches and tomatoes.
There you have it. All of the best of summer on a platter.
- 1 whole chicken or 4 chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion
- 1 loaf multi grain bread, not sliced (so you can make your own big 1 inch slices)
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 peaches
- 2 tomatoes
- 1-2 red jalapenos
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 5 scallions
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup olive oil
- Spatchcock the chicken (remove the back bone and flatten the breast bone
- Rub both sides of the chicken with canola oil, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and thyme
- Grill the chicken, as detailed in the article above until it reaches 165-170 degrees in the thigh
- Remove the chicken from the fire and let it rest
- Slice the bread into 1 inch slices, slice the onion into ½ inch slices and grill until the bread is toasty and the onion has charred
- Tear romaine lettuce, slice peaches, jalapenos and tomato and arrange on a platter
- Cut the bread into large pieces and add it with the onion and chicken to the platter
- In a blender puree the spinach, scallions and fresh lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper
- Stream the olive oil into the puree while the blender is running.
- Serve the puree along side the salad