Crispy honey tofu with stir fried vegetables – Make this tasty vegan dish that’s better than take out, easy to put together and perfect for a weeknight or week end meal.
For extra crispy tofu, first cut the tofu into half inch slices and press the liquid out of it for a half hour. Line a sheet pan with 2-3 layers of paper towels, place the slices of tofu on the paper towels and cover the tofu slices with 2-3 additional layers of paper towels. Place another sheet pan on top of the tofu and place a few cans or jars on top to gently weigh it down. Don’t use more that 3 pounds of weight and distribute the weights across the the top of the tofu to gently and evenly press the excess liquid from the tofu.
Season the tofu with a little salt, chili powder and Chinese five spice powder and dredge it in cornstarch before pan frying it. The cornstarch gives the tofu a light, crispy coating.
Pan fry the seasoned and coated tofu in a small amount of oil for 3-4 minutes per side over medium heat until it becomes golden brown.
To make the honey stir fry sauce combine cornstarch, soy sauce, honey, apple juice, grated garlic and grated fresh ginger together. I used brocolini, sugar snap peas and scallions but carrots, peppers and zucchini would be great in this, as well.
Stir fry your vegetables until they are crisp/tender then pour in the honey stir fry sauce. The cornstarch in the sauce begins to thicken once it boils allowing the sauce to coat the vegetables.
Layer the crispy tofu slices with the stirf ried vegetables in sauce and serve immediately so the coating on the tofu does not become too soft.
Crispy honey tofu with stir fried vegetables – Combine a few sauteed veggies with a sauce of honey, apple juice and soy sauce and you have a delicious vegan meal that even meat eaters will love.
- 1 block of firm or extra firm tofu
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ red chili flake (more or less depending on how hot you like it)
- ½ teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder (optional)
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 12 ounces of brocolini or fresh broccoli florets
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas
- 3-4 scallions
- ½ cup sliced onions (optional)
- ½ cup sliced red bell peppers (optional)
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup of honey
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ½ cup apple juice
- up to ⅓ cup canola or grape seed oil for frying
- Slice the tofu into ½ inch thick slices
- Press the liquid out of the tofu for 30 minutes
- Slice your vegetables while you're waiting for the tofu to drain.
- Season the tofu with salt, pepper, red chili flakes and Chinese five spice powder (if using)
- Dredge both sides of the tofu in the ½ cup of cornstarch
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a skillet
- Fry the tofu over medium heat for 3 minutes per side, in batches if necessary
- Drain the excess oil from the tofu on a wire rack
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan if necessary
- Add vegetables and