Pumpkin Spice Latte Cake with Coffee Buttercream
This is all of your coffee shop dreams come true! Pumpkin and warm spices are fantastic together.
I use garam masala – a ground spice blend originating from India. The spices included in the blend varies by maker but generally you will find corriander, cinnamon, cumin, black pepper, bay leaf and cloves. Here’s an affiliate link to Organic Garam Masala on Amazon. If you can’t locate garam masala, feel free to use pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons garam masala or pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- COFFEE BUTTERCREAM
- 2½ Cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 cup soft unsalted butter
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coffee extract
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, depending on the consistency you want
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare 3 – 8 inch square or round cake pans.
- Spray the pans with baking spray and line with parchment paper
- Add sugar, oil eggs, pumpkin puree and lemon juice into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat for about 5 minutes. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, Garam masala or pumpkin pie spice, ground ginger, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir gently to combine
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans and bake for 20 minutes
- Make with coffee butter cream by combining butter, confectioners sugar and salt in a stand mixer. Beat (slowly at first) until well combined.
- Add coffee extract
- Slowly add heavy cream until you reach the desired consistency