Whole 30 inspired Firecracker Hot Wings recipe sponsored by natural #SandersonFarms chicken.
No game day is complete without hot wings, you can enjoy them and still keep your New Year’s resolution.
This delicious baked hot wing recipe gets it’s fire from two sources. First the chicken wings are massaged with a bangin’ spice rub, then after they’re baked they take a bath in buttery hot sauce. To cool the fire in your mouth dip them in some dill and lemon mayo.
More great Sanderson Farms chicken recipes HERE!
To make this recipe you will need two sheet pans with racks. I like to line the sheet pans with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
Rub your wings
Make a spice blend of salt, fresh ground pepper, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper. I love to use Sanderson Farms chicken because they don’t add any additional salt. This allows me to season the chicken as I like and not worry about having too much sodium. Rub the wings all over with the spices and let them sit in the fridge for up to six hours if you have time. Place the wings on a rack on a sheet pan.
Roast the wings at high heat
Roast the wings at 425 degrees for about 40 minutes (the roasting time depends on the size of the wings)
Make the lemon/dill mayo
Find a Whole30 compliant mayonnaise with no sugar added. Mix the mayonnaise with dill, salt, fresh cracked pepper and fresh squeezed lemon juice.
Make the hot wing sauce
Traditional hot wing sauce is made of butter and hot sauce simmered together. For my Whole30 eating plan I used a combination of ghee ( a type of clarified butter, here’s the recipe) and Whole30 compliant hot sauce with no sugar added. If you’re on a lower fat diet just toss the roasted chicken wings in hot sauce and skip the mayo.
Serve Your Whole 30 Inspired Firecracker Hot Wings
Gather lots of fresh vegetables to crunch with your Whole 30 Inspired Firecracker Hot Wings. I dipped everything into that lemon/dill mayo- celery, tomato…my fingers! It’s so good!
Are you sticking to your New Year’s resolutions? What recipes do you use to keep you sane while you’re eating better? Let me know in the comments below, I’d love to hear your ideas.
- 3 pounds of Sanderson Farms chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1-4 teaspoons of cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon dry dill
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup ghee (or butter)
- ½ cup hot sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
- Cut the chicken wings into sections, reserve the wing tips for stock ( or purchase the wings already cut)
- Combine salt, pepper, granulated garlic, paprika and cayenne pepper. Rub the chicken wings with the spice mix
- Place the wings on the rack of the sheet pan and roast at 425 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes
- Mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper and reserve until ready to serve
- Simmer the ghee (or butter) and hot sauce for 5 minutes, stir to combine
- Toss the cooked chicken wings with the hot sauce mixture and serve with the lemon/ dill mayo and vegetables