Instant Pot Italian Beef
Instant Pot Italian Beef two ways. An Instant Pot speeds up cooking time for this delicious Chicago treat.
Italian Beef sandwich is made by slow roasting beef, slicing it thin and dunking it into savory broth before layering it onto hero rolls and topping the sandwich with vegetables. Usually, the beef is roasted the day before then chilled, sliced and reheated in broth…but the way my patience is set up I needed to get this on the table a bit quicker.
Actually, I made this Italian beef sandwich two ways. One quick, one a bit slower and more traditional. Check out the video below for a demonstration
I saute red and green sweet bell peppers and buy a jar of giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetables) to top the sandwich so it’s really a complete meal.
Here’s a printable version of the recipe
- One 3 and ½ to 4 pound rump Roast
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional, to taste)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 jar pre-made Giardiniera Italian pickled vegetables
- 4-6 hero/sub rolls
- Cut the roast in half if necessary to fit into the Instant Pot
- Season each half of the roast with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, dried oregano and red pepper flakes
- Turn the Instant Pot on "saute"
- Slice the red and green bell pepper and saute it them in the Instant Pot until softened. Set aside until ready to use
- Brown the beef halves one at a time on all sides.
- Pour beef broth into the Instant Pot with the beef halves and cook on the "Meat/Stew" setting for 60 minutes
- Shred the beef and serve it on hero rolls with giardiniera and sauteed peppers
- OR Chill the beef and broth in the refrigerator overnight then slice the beef and reheat it in the broth.
- Serve it on hero rolls with giardiniera and sauteed peppers