Cranberry biscotti are easy and delicious cookies that make great holiday gifts. This recipe makes a big batch of cookies. I like to freeze half of the raw dough so I’ll have biscotti ready to bake at a moment’s notice.
Old school biscotti recipes don’t contain butter but butter makes everything better so there is a stick of butter in this recipe.
Biscotti are baked twice, first as a log, then sliced and baked to dry out.
For a fun, festive finish dip the cooled biscotti into melted store-bought vanilla icing and decorate with sprinkles. Place the biscotti on a parchment lined tray and let sit until set.
Make the cranberry biscotti dough by beating together the butter, salt and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time then add in the lemon juice.
Combine the flour, baking powder and lemon zest in another bowl and stir it together well. Slowly beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Mix the cranberries into the dough.
FINALLY, BAKE THE BISCOTTI TWICE
Divide the dough into two logs, wrap them in plastic and chill or freeze the dough for later use. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the logs of biscotti dough on separate trays for 35 minutes. Let the biscotti log cool then slice the log into 1/2 inch slices. Place the biscotti back on the tray and bake at 275 degrees for 15 minutes.
Dip the biscotti into melted vanilla frosting and top with sprinkles.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 3 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- OPTIONAL DECORATION
- vanilla frosting
- Zest the lemon then cut it and squeeze out the juice into a small container. You should have about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Cream butter, salt and sugar in the bowl of your mixer about 3 minutes or by hand for about 6 minutes.
- Add in eggs one at a time beating well between adding each egg.
- Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, and lemon zest. Add flour mixture to the butter and eggs in the mixing bowl. Stir on low to combine.
- Mix in the cranberries
- Take a piece of plastic wrap about a foot long and put half of the biscotti dough onto the plastic wrap in a log shape about 2 inches wide and 9 inches long. Wrap the biscotti log in the plastic and repeat with the other half of the biscotti dough. Refrigerate for an hour before baking.
- Heat the oven to 350
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, place the biscotti logs on each one. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the biscotti is firm to the touch.
- Let the biscotti cool completely then slice into ½ inch slices .
- Place the biscotti back onto the pan and bake at 275° for 15 additional minutes.
- Let the biscotti cool completely
- Melt a cup of frosting in the microwave for 15-20 seconds, until it is smooth and dippable, then stir.
- Dip the end of each biscotti into the frosting then add sprinkles
- Let dry on parchment paper until set