Soft Pretzel Recipe
Soft Pretzel Recipe
Make homemade soft pretzels with this easy soft pretzel recipe. Just follow these simple steps
CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO FOR STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
The texture of your soft pretzel is determined by the type of flour you use.
You can use either bread flour for a chewy pretzel or all-purpose flour for a fluffy texture. The higher protein content in bread flour makes all the difference. Try combining the two types of flour to make your own custom blend. I prefer a chewy pretzel so I use bread flour.
Add yeast and sugar to warm water. The water should be about 110 degrees, warm from the tap. I use brown sugar but you can use white sugar or honey if you like.
Add flour, salt, and butter to the yeasty water. Knead the dough on a stand mixer or by hand for about five minutes.
Cut the dough into 8 pieces (or however many you like) and let the dough pieces rest on a floured surface covered with a towel for 10 minutes.
Roll the dough into ropes and form into pretzel shapes
Line two sheet pans with parchment paper put four pretzels on each pan. Cover each pan with a kitchen towel and let the pretzels rise in a warm place for 30 -40 minutes
Bring 8 cups of water to boil in a large pot. Add 1/3 cup of baking soda. Boil the pretzels for 30 seconds each side. Remove the pretzels from the water with a slotted spoon, shake to remove excess water and place them back on the tray. Boil the pretzels 2 or 3 at a time
Brush the pretzels with beaten egg, top with pretzel salt or your favorite topping and bake for 12 -14 minutes.
Let the pretzels cool for about 5 minutes before serving. The pretzels are best served warm but they are certainly good the next day. Place them into an airtight container for storage
- 1 and ¼ cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon white sugar or brown sugar
- 3 cups bread flour OR all-purpose flour PLUS some for dusting
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 8 cups of water
- ⅓ cup of baking powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of pretzel salt
- Add yeast and sugar to warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes
- Combine Yeast water with flour, butter and kosher salt in a stand mixer.
- Mix on low for 2 minutes then turn speed to medium and mix for 5 minutes
- Cut dough into 8 pieces and place on a floured surface. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 10 minutes
- Prepare 2 sheet pans with parchment paper
- Roll each dough piece into 20-inch ropes and form into pretzel shape
- Place the pretzels onto prepared pan
- Cover each pan with a kitchen towel and let the pretzels rise in a warm place for 30 -40 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
- Boil 8 cups of water, add the baking soda
- Boil 2-3 pretzels at a time for 30 seconds each side. Drain well with a slotted spoon and place back on prepared sheet pan
- Brush each pretzel with beaten egg and sprinkle with pretzel salt or your favorite seasoning
- Bake the pretzels for 12-14 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking.