the Best crab cake recipe
The best crab cake recipe How to make the ULTIMATE CRAB CAKES
When it comes to making crab cakes I’ve got the key to making the ULTIMATE most delicious crab cakes ever. Watch the step by step video below for detailed “how to” instructions.
INGREDIENTS for the best crab cake recipe
Use sweet jumbo lump crab meat for the most delicious crab cakes. Some people love king crab meat and snow crab meat (and so do I) but for me sweet jumbo lump blue crab meat can’t be beat!
Gently pick through the crab meat to remove any hard cartilage without breaking the lump crab meat too much.
MY FAVORITE CHEF’S KNIFE
Sauté some veggies
Dice some onions and sweet red bell pepper then sweat them down in vegetable oil. You’re not trying to get much color on the vegetables. You want to remove excess water and concentrate the flavors. Let the sauteed peppers and onions cool completely before moving on to the next step.
PANKO BREAD CRUMBS
Hold it together
Stir in a little bit of panko bread crumbs and mayonnaise. The bread crumbs soften over a little time to soak up some moisture and bind the crab cakes together. There is just a small amount of breadcrumbs so be very careful when handling the crab cakes, they can fall apart easily.
A little mayo gives a nice creaminess to the mix.
FOR GLUTEN FREE CRAB CAKES
Substitute gluten-free crackers for panko bread crumbs. Crush some plain gluten-free crackers and mix them into the crab cake recipe.
Season it up
A lot of people use Old Bay to season their crab cakes and that’s fine. Old Bay is a bit too harshly flavored for sweet jumbo lump crab meat in my opinion. So many crab cakes taste the same because so many people use the same seasoning. I use my own SEASONED SALT RECIPE to give these ultimate crab cakes a nice zing. It makes a big difference. It highlights the flavors of the crab without overpowering the delicate crab flavor.
Let it chill
Mix it all together gently so you don’t break up the big lumps of crab too much. Form the crab cake mixture into five large balls. You can really make them any size you like, just adjust the cooking time. Chill the crab cakes for half an hour then brush them with a mixture of melted butter and lemon juice.
Cook it up
Heat the oven to 350 degrees and cook the crab cakes for 15 minutes. You just want the crab cakes to be warm in the center. Don’t overcook them or you will dry them out.
SWEET CHILI SAUCE
Serve the crab cakes with sweet chili sauce and slices of fresh orange and avocados.
the Best crab cake recipe How to make the ULTIMATE CRAB CAKES
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ a yellow onion
- 2 pounds of jumbo lump crab meat
- ½ cup of panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of seasoned salt
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- the juice of half a lemon
- Sweet chili sauce
- 2 oranges
- 2 avocados
- Chop the onion and bell pepper
- Saute the onion and bell pepper in vegetable oil for 5 to 8 minutes
- Place the peppers and onions into a large bowl and let it cool completely
- Mix the peppers and onions with the crab meat, panko bread crumbs, mayonnaise, and seasoned salt
- Form the mixture into 5 balls then chill them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Melt the butter and let it cool. Mix the lemon juice into the butter and brush it over the crab cakes
- Bake the crab cakes for 15 minutes
- Serve the crab cakes with sweet chili sauce, avocado, and orange slices