Vidalia Onion Upside Down Cornbread
Author: Demetra Overton SweetSavant.com
Serves: 8 sservingss
- 2 Vidalia Onions
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1½ cups of fine ground yellow or white cornmeal, I used yellow
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 and ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 8 ounces frozen broccoli-thawed
- ½ cup cooked chopped bacon (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 16 ounces of 2% cottage cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Slice the Vidalia Onions into rings leaving the rings in order if possible
- Melt the butter in the cast iron skillet
- Place the onion slices close together into the butter, fill in any spaces with smaller bits of onion
- Finely chop any remaining Vidalia onion and reserve it.
- Let the onions cook on medium heat for 5 minutes
- While the onions are cooking mix the batter:
- Add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl beat 4 eggs, mix in the cottage cheese
- Squeeze the water out of the broccoli and mix this into the eggs. Add the reserved chopped onions
- Add the cornmeal mix and stir to combine. (add optional bacon if you like)
- Pour the batter over the onions
- Bake the cornbread for 20 - 23 minutes or until done.
- Let the cornbread cool for 10-15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cornbread.
- Place a plate over the pan and using oven mitts carefully flip the pan over and remove the cornbread from the pan
Recipe by Sweet Savant at https://sweetsavant.com/2015/07/29/vidalia-onion-upside-down-broccoli-cornbread/