If there is anything that looks more festive than this Birthday Cake Funnel Cake, I don’t know what it is. Dripping with sweet creamy icing and covered in tons of sprinkles, this funnel cake just screams CELEBRATION!
My baby girl has a birthday coming up, time is flying by and I’m watching her transform into a young woman right before my eyes. She’s well into her teens now and her schedule is busier than mine. She’s been on two trips with her school in the last two weeks for two or three nights at a time with another trip coming up this week. She’s turning into quite an amazing lady and I’m so proud to be her mom. I must say I’m already feeling a bit of early onset empty nest syndrome. The more she grows the more opportunities she gets and they all seem to take her away from me.
Well, while she’s home we’re going to take the time to celebrate her special day…with CAKE! But not just any cake OH NO! We’re going to do something a little different this birthday. We’re going to celebrate with one of her absolute favorite sweet treats-Birthday Cake FUNNEL CAKE! Funnel cake is a must have for us at any circus, carnival or fair but this time we’re going to make it ourselves. It couldn’t be easier to make funnel cake at home, all you need is a vat of hot oil and this recipe. I’ll let you in on a little secret…I just adapted my go to pancake recipe and deep fried it. The batter puffs up and gets light and crispy when fried to golden brown.
After I fried the funnel cakes and drained them I drizzled them in a sweet vanilla cream icing and covered them in every kind of sprinkle I could find.
This is the pitcher I used to pour the funnel cakes into the hot oil, it makes it so easy to pour the batter uniformly so your funnel cake cooks evenly. Here’s a link to the funnel cake pitcher if you would like more information or to purchase.
Funnel Cake Birthday Cake
- FUNNEL CAKE BATTER
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 T lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 T sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/8 t salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t vanilla
- oil for frying
- sprinkles for decorating
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Pour fresh lemon juice into the milk and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and stir.
- Add the egg to the milk and beat well to combine, add vanilla
- Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture to combine.
- Pour 1/2 inch of oil into a deep frying pan and heat to 350 degrees
- Drizzle a 1/2 cup the batter in a circular motion into the hot oil in a circular motion
- Fry 1-2 minutes on one side until golden brown
- Carefully flip the funnel cake over and cook for 1-2 minutes more until golden brown
- Remove the funnel cake from the oil and let it drain on a paper towel.
- Repeat with remaining batter
- MAKE ICING
- Put powdered sugar into a bowl
- Add vanilla
- Pour 2 tablespoons of cream into the sugar and stir adding more cream 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach a pourable consistency.
- Put 1 funnel cake on a serving plate, drizzle with icing and sprinkle with sprinkles. Repeat with the remaining funnel cakes stacking them on top of each other
This post contains affiliate links, I get a small portion of the proceeds if you purchase
Birthday Cake Funnel Cake