Inspiration for a recipe can come from so many places, this recipe for Cheddar Bey Biscuits was inspired by Beyoncé’s new HOT single and video, Formation
So Beyoncé dropped the single and video Formation yesterday, a day in advance of her Super Bowl 50 half time performance and the internet lost it’s MIND. Her images of New Orleans (my family and I just visited for the first time a few months ago), references to the flooding, her pride in her -Black, Creole, Southern -heritage and the choreography inspired by protests of the shootings of unarmed black men were all very powerful to me.
I have to say, her shout out to Red Lobster brought back fond memories of dates with my boyfriend (now husband) back in Queens, New York in the 90’s. Well, the Red Lobster where we dined was located in Long Island close to the border of Queens at Green Acres mall. Dinner at Red Lobster and a movie was a big night out for us back then.Those were good times.
Inspired by Beyoncé as well as Red Lobster’s most iconic menu item, Cheddar Bay Biscuits (it’s NOT a copy cat recipe so it doesn’t taste like what you get in the restaurant) I created this recipe for Cheddar Bey Biscuits #IGotHotSauceInMyBiscuits! These biscuits are buttery, cheesy and a little hot and spicy from a dash (more than a dash, a tablespoon) of Louisiana Hot Sauce in the dough (this post is NOT sponsored by Louisiana Hot Sauce, it’s what I usually have in my kitchen…and in my bag).
Go easy on the Old Bay Seasoning in this recipe. It’s delicious but too much can take over the entire recipe like Beyoncé took over the internet. I also use the very Southern White Lily flour for a tender biscuit. The vinegar in the hot sauce is a tenderizer so expect these biscuits to be EXTRA tender. These are drop biscuits eliminating the the need for kneading.
Cheddar Bey Biscuits Inspired by Beyoncé
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter PLUS 4 tablespoons melted butter to brush over the top of the finished biscuits
- ¾ cup milk 2%or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 ½ cups of AP Flour I use White Lily flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- Cut the butter into 1/4 inch cubes and place the butter in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Add the hot sauce to the milk
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of your mixer combine the all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, granulated garlic and Old Bay seasoning. Mix well
- Blend the butter into the flour mixture on medium speed with the paddle of your mixer until the butter almost disappears, about 2 minutes.
- If you are making this with your hands quickly blend the butter into the flour mixture for about 30 seconds so you don't melt the butter.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar
- Add the milk and hot sauce mixture and blend until combined.
- Drop the biscuits using two dining tablespoons onto a parchment lined sheet pan
- Beat the egg with a tablespoon of water to make an egg wash. Brush the egg wash over the biscuits
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
- Brush the finished hot biscuits with melted butter
Aisha Johnson AdamsFebruary 20, 2016 at 1:19 am (7 years ago)
I wonder if we can substitute the eggsReply
Demetra OvertonFebruary 20, 2016 at 2:29 am (7 years ago)
Yes, you can skip the egg and brush the top with a little milk. They will probably get a bit more brown when baking but the biscuits will be beautiful and delicious. Thanks for reading.
Allison JonesFebruary 8, 2016 at 7:48 am (7 years ago)
First of all, Formation was EVERYTHING! I love Red Lobsters’ biscuits so I’m sure these are phenomenal as well.
Demetra OvertonFebruary 8, 2016 at 12:01 pm (7 years ago)
Yes, Allison I loved everything about Formation and I’m not even a huge Bey fan. The whole thing is such a powerful statement, I’ll be rewatching it several times today. Red Lobster will always have a special place in my heart.