IT’S COOKIE SEASON! Keep a batch of these homemade Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies in your fridge and have cookies at the ready 5 days a week.
This recipe also freezes well for about 2 months so it’s the prefect make ahead recipe for a party.
If you bake you probably have all the ingredients you need in your pantry, this cookie recipe is full of all the basics- butter, and egg, granulated white sugar, flour and baking powder. Mix it all up, divide it in half to make it easier to handle and roll it up in plastic wrap. Let it chill in your fridge for a few hours or up to FIVE DAYS slicing a little off at a time to bake when needed. This is a great Sunday night family project that makes it really easy to have freshly baked cookies as an after school snack.
You can even roll the entire unbaked log in sugar, sprinkles or edible glitter (I used Wilton 710-041 Pearilized Sugar Food Decorative, Gold, 5.25 oz.), that way when you slice and bake them you’ll have cookies with sugar all around the edges. I use this recipe for my Jam Stuffed Sugar Cookies too. Just slice the chilled dough, press your thumb in the center to make a small well, fill that with a little jam, top with another disk of dough and bake.
You can even pop and lollipop stick into the dough before you bake for cute little glitter cookie pops…WHO WOULDN’T LIKE THAT?!
Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies
- 12 tablespoons 6 ounces soft unsalted butter
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Beat the soft butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue beating for 1 minute
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and add them to the butter/egg mixture
- Shape into a log about 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter and wrap in plastic wrap for at least 30 minutes or up to 5 days
- When ready to bake heat your oven to 375 degrees
- Slice into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch slices depending on how large you want the cookies, and place 1 inch apart on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cookies are lightly browned
Homemade Slice and Bake Butter Sugar Cookies
EdDecember 17, 2015 at 5:42 pm (7 years ago)
Good recipe. Nice and simple just like I like itReply
Demetra OvertonDecember 17, 2015 at 5:44 pm (7 years ago)
Thanks for reading, Ed. Sometimes simple is best.
AnnieDecember 17, 2015 at 5:41 pm (7 years ago)
I think those cookie pops are so cute. I’m going to make it for my daughter’s birthday next week.Reply
Demetra OvertonDecember 17, 2015 at 5:45 pm (7 years ago)
Hi Annie. So glad you like the cookie pops. Please wish you’re daughter a happy birthday from me.
SueDecember 17, 2015 at 5:40 pm (7 years ago)
This looks great. I love how versatile this recipe is.Reply