I’m back in the kitchen with my sweet babies making soup and sandwiches for dinner. My daughter and I created this DELICIOUS Kale and Roasted Red Pepper Grilled Cheese sandwich with Havarti cheese on some roasted garlic bread we picked up from the store.
Caramelized onions add deep sweetness to kale and tangy roasted red peppers bring zest to the dish. Combine this with melted cheese and hearty bread and you’ve got a fantastic meatless sandwich.
We started by roasting our own red peppers. Store bought is okay but homemade is so much better. HERE’S HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN ROASTED RED PEPPERS
We then caramelized a large onion in canola to bring out its sweetness. It takes some time but it is SO worth it. We then added our washed and chopped curly kale with some water, covered the pot and let it wilt. The roasted red peppers were sliced and added at the end and we put that whole delicious concoction on some hearty bread with a few slices of Havarti cheese and melted it all on the griddle.
I served it along side this Shrimp and Chorizo soup, HERE’S THE RECIPE!
My son was a bit skeptical about this meatless sandwich but after he tried it he was a believer. What’s your favorite meatless sandwich combination? Please let me know in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you!
Kale and Roasted Red Pepper Grilled Cheese
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- canola or olive oil
- 1 bunch of curly or flat leaf kale
- 1 red bell pepper roasted
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices of Havarti or mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices of your favorite hearty bread
- Slice the onion into 1/4 inch thick slices
- Saute the onion over medium heat until it has caramelized
- Slice the garlic and add it to the pot
- Sautee the garlic with the onions for 30 seconds
- Chop the kale into 2 inch slices and add it to the pot with a half cup of water
- Cover the pot and wilt the kale wilt for 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally
- Remove the cover and let the liquid evaporate from the kale for another 5 minutes or so
- Slice the roasted red pepper and add it to the pot
- Turn off the heat from the pot
- Heat your griddle or another pan
- Build your sandwich with cheese on each slice of bread and the sauteed kale in the middle
- Drizzle the sandwiches with 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Griddle the sandwiches for 2-3 minutes per side
- Serve hot