Persimmon Frangipane Tart. “What’s FRANGIPANE?” you may ask. Frangipane is French almond cream. It’s simple to make and absolutely delicious. People will think you were trained by a fancy French pastry chef but no, you learned it right here!
Frangipane is simply softened butter, eggs, almond flour and vanilla extract. That’s it! You beat it all together, put in in some puff pastry with some fruit (maybe add a little chocolate) and you have an amazing dessert.
The fruit I’m using this time is persimmon. It’s my Mom’s favorite fruit (she buys it by the case) but I hadn’t tried it until just a few years ago. There are generally two type of persimmon sold in most grocery stores Fuyu and Hachiya. I used Hachiya persimmon the more elongated of the two
Look for unblemished fruit with no soft spots and an even orange color. Ripe persimmon are super sweet and creamy but leave a chalky feeling in your mouth after eating. My son loved the persimmon flavor but the chalky-ness really bothered him. To me, the chalk-ness seems reduced after cooking.
This recipe makes 2 persimmon tarts
Persimmon Frangipane Tart
- 6 tablespoons soft butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs one for almond cream and one for egg wash
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 two sheets package puff pastry Each sheet makes one tart
- 2 persimmons
- 1 tablespoon apple jelly
- Heat your oven to 425 degrees
- SEE THE PICTURES IN THE POST ABOVE FOR ASSISTANCE
- First make the puff pastry tart shells.
- Take one sheet of puff pastry and cut two 1/2 inch strips from the longest side
- If there is a seam in the puff pastry from where it was folded push it together and press it down until you have one flat sheet
- Place this on your parchment lined sheet pan
- Beat one egg, brush beaten egg down each long side of the puff pastry sheet and place a 1/2 inch strip on each side of the larger puff pastry sheet
- Brush the tops of the strips with beaten egg
- Repeat with the other whole sheet of puff pastry and place it on the same sheet pan
- Place this in the refrigerator while you make the frangipane
- Beat the butter, sifted powdered sugar, almond flour, vanilla and 1 egg together until well combined.
- Divide the frangipane equally in half and place half on each puff pastry sheet
- Spread the frangipane on to the puff pastry sheets
- I didn't peel my persimmon but you can if you like
- Slice each persimmon in half and remove the leafy top.
- Cut the persimmons into 1/4 inch wedges and place onto each tart
- Bake the persimmon tarts in the center of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown
- Remove the tarts from the oven
- Melt the apple jelly in the microwave for 15-20 seconds
- Brush the apple jelly across the top of the tarts on the fruit as well as the puff pastry.