I try to be good, you know eat healthfully…I really do (sometimes), but LORD it’s really hard. This steak salad makes it easier. This salad with juicy, lean steak and healthy carbs delivers the protein you need to get your South Beach or other Low Carb diet on track.
For me, reducing carbohydrates is the least painful way to lose weight. A good, hearty steak salad helps to keep me from feeling deprived. You can easily swap out the steak for chicken if you like, even a piece of roasted salmon would be delicious.
Steak Salad with Homemade Oregano Dressing
I save used jelly jars and use them to store and shake my home made salad dressing.
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 ounces red wine vinegar
- 1-2 ounces low sodium soy sauce or Braggs Liquid aminos
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 12 ounce strip steak about 1 inch thick
- 4 cups lettuce I used baby romaine
- a little red onion sliced thin
- 1 carrot shaved into thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets raw or steamed
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese
- Make your dressing by combining Oregano, pepper, red wine vinegar, soy sauce and olive oil in a jar.
- Steam your green beans and let cool
- Heat a skillet and sprinkle it lightly with salt
- Pat your steak dry and cook it 2-3 minutes per side or to your desired done-ness
- Let the steak rest for 5 minutes
- Toss your salad greens, green beans, carrot, broccoli and onion in 1 teaspoon of dressing (more or less if you like)
- Divide your salad between two bowls (yes, you have to share)
- Slice the steak and divide it between the two salads
- Shave Parmesan cheese over it all with a vegetable peeler
ElleJanuary 16, 2015 at 2:39 pm (8 years ago)
Um, this looks hella good. I’m definitely looking at this dressing. Sounds so good!Reply
Demetra OvertonJanuary 16, 2015 at 3:36 pm (8 years ago)
Thanks Elle. That’s my house dressing. I keep a bottle in the fridge for everyday use