Here’s the recipe for barbecued ground pork filling for steamed buns. At first I tried to make these buns using a raw pork filling but I didn’t care for the way they turned out. The flavor wasn’t where I wanted it to be and I kept checking the temperature inside to see if they were done. Its difficult to know if they’re done without checking the internal temperature with a thermometer. Ground pork should be cook to 160 degrees.
You can’t take a chance serving under cooked ground pork, that could spell disaster. I preferred the flavor of the ground pork when I cooked it with some soy sauce and barbecue sauce and there is no worry about the filling being under cooked when steaming.
Using the fully cooked pork filling eliminates the risk of having a bun with under cooked pork inside. I think it tastes better, too. Feel free to add other vegetables to the filling, finely diced carrot would be great in this recipe.
Barbecue Pork Filling for HOMEMADE Steamed Buns
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Napa cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- Cook the ground pork, onion and cabbage in a hot skillet for 6-8 minutes until the pork is brown and fully cooked
- Drain the fat
- Add the ginger, soy sauce and the barbecue sauce and simmer until the liquid is reduced.
- Let cool completely in the refrigerator before filling the buns
- Use about one to one and a half tablespoons of filling for each bun
Here’s the recipe for the bun dough, its as simple to make as most bread doughs, you just need to let the dough rise an hour before filling the buns and then for another 30 minutes after filling the buns.
I also made some buns with a Soy Braised Chicken Thigh filling, here’s the recipe for that.
Watch the video my daughter shot for me to see how I filled the buns.