For dinner the other night I made soy braised chicken thighs and is was DELICIOUS. I made quite a bit so I’d have leftovers and here’s what I did with it. I turned the leftover chicken into the filling for these Steamed Barbecue Chicken buns and they were DELICIOUS!
My daughter was the camera chick for this video as well as my assistant bun filler.
Here’s the recipe for the dough, it’s pretty easy to make, you just need to let the dough rise for an hour or so before filling the buns.
You can stuff the buns with lots of different meat and vegetable combinations. Let the filled buns rise at room temperature for 15 minutes and then steam them for 15 additional minutes
Soy Braised Chicken Thighs Steamed Bun Filling
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 shaoxing wine optional
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless/skinless chicken thighs
- IF YOU'RE MAKING STEAMED BUNS YOU'LL NEED THE INGREDIENTS BELOW
- 3 Scallions
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons Sriracha or to taste or your favorite hot sauce
- It will taste fine if you just use the Soy Sauce barbecue sauce, sugar and hot sauce simmered until thick and sticky.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a 5 quart heavy bottomed pot simmer the soy sauce, brown sugar, shaoxing wine (if using) cinnamon stick and ginger until the sauce becomes thick and sticky. The mixture will bubble up so watch it carefully.
- Remove any excess fat from the chicken thighs
- In a separate skillet, brown the chicken thighs for 5 minutes per side (do this in batches)
- Add the browned chicken thighs to the soy sauce/barbecue sauce mixture and let simmer, stirring for 5 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- SERVE OVER RICE WITH GREEN BEANS OR BROCCOLI OR ...
- CONTINUE WITH THESE DIRECTIONS TO MAKE STEAMED BUN FILLING
- Chill the chicken thighs in the refrigerator
- Chop the cooled chicken thighs into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Stir in chopped scallions, barbecue sauce and Sriracha
- Fill the bun dough
I also made a ground pork filling, the recipe for that is here.