This broccoli, chicken and cheese tortellini recipe is delicious and pretty quick to get on the dinner table, even on a weeknight.
A little cream and Parmesan cheese make a thick, savory sauce that clings to the pasta, chicken and vegetables. This dish is a family favorite that gets ’em to the table in a hurry. This is NOT a sponsored post, I use Barilla Tortellini because its tasty and shelf stable. I keep some in my pantry to help get dinner on the table FAST.
Broccoli and Chicken with Cheese Tortellini #Recipe
1 package of Cheese tortellini (dried. Refrigerated or frozen) I used a 12 ounce bag of Barilla dried 3 cheese tortellini found in the pasta aisle 12 ounces of fresh or frozen broccoli florets 1 pound of chicken breast½ cup all purpose flour 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil 2 cloves garlic 1 cup chicken broth 1 cup heavy cream ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese Salt
- 1 package of Cheese tortellini dried. Refrigerated or frozen I used a 12 ounce bag of Barilla dried 3 cheese tortellini found in the pasta aisle
- 12 ounces of fresh broccoli florets
- 1 pound of chicken breast
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large stock pot of water to boil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt to the water and boil the tortellini for 7 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pasta water and continue to boil for 3 additional minutes. Drain and set aside. (You may have to adjust cooking time according to the type of tortellini used.)
- Save a cup of pasta water after you finish cooking thee tortellini. You may need it to thin out the sauce.
- While waiting for the pasta water to boil start working on the chicken.
- Slice chicken breasts into strips about 2 inches long by ½ inch wide.
- Put flour and 1 teaspoon of salt into a plastic bag, add the chicken strips and toss to coat.
- Shake off excess flour and sauté the chicken in oil over medium heat.
- Lightly brown the chicken on each side, cooking for 5 minutes. If the chicken isn’t completely done it will finish cooking in the sauce. Cook the chicken in batches.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and sauté the garlic over low heat for about 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth and cream into the pan and boil to reduce until thick, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, tortellini broccoli and Parmesan cheese, simmer for 2-3 minutes. (The flour we tossed the chicken in earlier will help to thicken the sauce). Add salt to taste.
- If your sauce is too think, thin it out with a little of the reserved pasta water. Don't add the entire cup at once. add just enough to get the consistency you need
3 Comments on Broccoli and Chicken with Cheese Tortellini Recipe
1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Broccoli and Chicken with Cheese Tortellini Recipe
[…] keep dried, cheese filled tortellini in my pantry so I can make this recipe or my chicken and broccoli tortellini recipe any time. Refrigerated tortellini has a shorter shelf life but is very tasty. Try a few brands to […]
Katherine GSeptember 23, 2015 at 2:46 am (8 years ago)
As always your dishes look so good. I think I may be able to get my husband to eat this.Reply
Elle @ (Eat.Style.Play)December 11, 2014 at 3:55 am (8 years ago)
yasss to the new site! this looks good!Reply