Crock Pot Candied Yams
CROCK POT CANDIED YAMS! One of my FAVORITE Slow cooker Thanksgiving recipes is easy and delicious. Free up your oven by making side dishes in your slow cooker!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP CROCK POT CANDIED YAMS RECIPE video on Youtube
Candied yams are a Thanksgiving tradition in my family. Cook sweet potatoes with warm spices, butter and brown sugar for a tasty holiday side dish. I like to add citrus juice and peels for more layers of flavor. A combination of orange and lemon juices work well to add a bit for bright, zingy flavor that enhances the earthiness of sweet potatoes.
Crock Pot Candied Yams Slow Cooker Thanksgiving recipe
Peel your sweet potatoes then cut them into chunks or slices. I prefer chunks because they don’t break apart as easily as slices. Even pieces are important here so the sweet potatoes cook at the same time. my sweet potato pieces were about 1.5 inches long and 1 inch wide.
PIN THIS SLOW COOKER CANDIED YAMS RECIPE
Next, butter your slow cooker
Rub softened butter on the bottom and sides of the slow cooker then add the sweet potato chunks.
Get some fresh oranges and lemons
Wash your oranges and lemon then peel the rind off with a vegetable peeler. Add the orange and lemon rind to the slow cooker. Squeeze the juice of the fresh citrus into the sweet potatoes.
Add some sugar and spice
Add brown sugar or raw sugar to the slow cooker then add your pumpkin pie spice
Butter it up
Add the rest of the butter and some water to the slow cooker and stir it up.
Stir the sweet potatoes gently every hour to make sure it cooks evenly. Cook the sweet potatoes covered for 3 hours then uncovered for half an hour more to reduce the liquid to a thickened glaze.
Crock Pot Candied Yams
- slow cooker crock pot
- 1/2 cup butter one stick
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 oranges peel and juice
- 1 lemon peel and juice
- 1 cup brown sugar you can substitute raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup water
- Add all of the ingredients to the Crock Pot then over and cook on high for 3 hours. Stir gently every hour. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Stir gently every hour
- Remove the cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce has reduced to a glaze.
- To make your own pumpkin pie spice use 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and a 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom