This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ForTheLoveOfHam #CollectiveBias
I made these DELICIOUS hot Ham, Cheese and Potato Croquettes with ham and mashed potatoes left over from my holiday meal.
The ham and mashed potatoes are already cooked making these Ham, Cheese and Potato Croquettes a quick and easy appetizer to make for that post holiday football game. The holiday season is filled with food, friends and family but the fun doesn’t have to stop when your holiday dinner is over. Leftovers can be a great way to make fun snacks for days after you first make them.
When I was doing my holiday meal shopping at Walmart I picked up a Cherrywood flavor Hormel Cure 81 bone-in ham, some potatoes and mozzarella cheese. We had a fantastic meal and quite a few leftovers. The kids got super excited when I told them I was going to make Ham, Cheese and Potato Croquettes and hounded me about when I was going to cook them. Who can blame them? Smokey ham, melted cheese and creamy mashed potatoes are a fantastic combination. Both my teens helped me stuff the diced ham and shredded cheese into disks of mashed potatoes and roll them into balls. Many hands make light work, so these were done in almost no time.
HERE’S MY RECIPE FOR SILKY MASHED POTATOES
HERE ARE EVEN MORE DELICIOUS HORMEL CURE 81 HAM RECIPES
First we set up our mise en place (that’s a fancy French chef term for “put everything you need in place”) for forming the croquettes and breading them. The complete details and measurements are in the recipe below.
I use a small ice cream scoop to measure out my portions of mashed potatoes. Form the mashed potatoes into a disk and place some cubes of ham and shredded cheese inside. Close the mashed potatoes around the filling
Roll the ham filled mashed potato ball in beaten egg and then into panko bread crumbs. Chill the croquettes for a half an hour before frying
Fry the Ham, Cheese and Potato Croquettes in hot oil (325 degrees) until golden brown, turning to cook both sides.
HERE ARE EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES WITH HORMEL CURE 81 HAM
How do you update your holiday leftovers? Let me know in the comments below.
Ham and Cheese Potato Croquettes
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced Hormel Cure 81 ham
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil or canola oil for frying
- First set up your ingredients. Chop the ham into 1/4 inch dice, and shred the cheese. Place your bowl of mashed potatoes with your ingredients. Beat two eggs in a bowl and place the panko bread crumbs in another bowl.
- Scoop about one and a half tablespoons of mashed potato into your hand and form into a disk
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of diced ham and 1/2 teaspoon of shredded mozzarella into the center of the mashed potato disk
- Fold the mashed potatoes over the filling and form into a ball
- Roll the ball in the beaten egg
- Roll the ball in panko. Form all the mashed potato croquettes and place them into the refrigerator for half an hour
- Heat an inch of oil in your pot and bring the oil to 325 degrees
- Fry the croquettes in batches of about 5-6 for 2 minutes per side, until golden brown
- Drain on paper towels and serve
Ham, Cheese and Potato Croquettes