How to make waffles
How to make Waffles, Quick and EASY Waffle recipe for when you want a tasty hot breakfast but you’re not a morning person.
I was feeling a little mommy guilt because I hadn’t made my kids a hot breakfast in a REALLY long time. I know it’s a little silly, sometimes we make ourselves feel bad for the most ridiculous things. My kids are definitely old enough to feed themselves and they have plenty of food to choose from. There was no good reason for me to feel guilty but I did, it was just one of those days. I wanted to cook them a nice hot breakfast but I didn’t want to get up too early because let’s face it, who wants to get up a minute earlier than they absolutely have to.
I came up with this quick and easy waffle recipe using self-rising flour to cut down on some of the measuring. Self-rising flour includes salt, baking soda and other leaveners. To complete the waffle recipe I add a bit of sugar, milk, lemon juice, eggs and melted butter. Super easy to get breakfast on the table fast. If I had really been thinking I would have made the batter the night before, parked it in the fridge and been ready to go in the morning.
Pre-heat your waffle iron so it will be ready to go when this quick and easy waffle recipe is ready. My waffle iron makes six kinda small waffles which worked well when the kids were small.
But now that the kids are in high school I may upgrade to a new waffle iron that makes four larger, Belgian style waffles like the one below.
This recipe makes a big batch so we can have leftovers for a couple of days…. because I ain’t getting up early again tomorrow! Put them in a ziptop bag or storage container and park them in the fridge. To freeze, them place them in one layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Put them in the freezer until frozen solid then put them in a zip-top bag.
The kids enjoyed them, I was happy to see them eat something other than cold cereal for breakfast AND I didn’t have to get up too early. I’m gonna call that a win.
How to make WAFFLES | Quick and EASY Waffle recipe
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup of granulated white sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups of milk whole or 2%
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice optional
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- oil or non stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl stir together self-rising flour and sugar
- In a separate container (I just use the measuring cup) mix together milk, lemon juice, eggs and vanilla
- Stir the milk mixture into the flour just until combined, don't over-mix. Stir in the melted butter
- Cook in your waffle iron according to its instructions
- Brush the waffle iron with oil or spray with non stick cooking spray as needed
- For Belgian waffles, I would separate the eggs, add the yolks to the batter, beat the whites until fluffy, then gently mix them into the batter as well