Vegan apple upside down cake
This Vegan Apple upside down cake is a comfort food vegan dessert recipe that both vegans and non-vegans will enjoy! Cast iron skillet dessert recipes come out so nice and crispy on the edges its like MAGIC!
VEGAN APPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE Recipe
Here’s a link to the 12 inch Lodge Cast Iron Skillet on Amazon
This is an affiliate link. I earn a portion of sales but it doesn’t cost you any extra. Thanks so much for supporting my blog, I truly appreciate you!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VEGAN APPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE BELOW
How do you convert a recipe for vegan ingredients?
My daughter adapted my standard apple upside down cake to work with vegan baking ingredients like oat milk (she made homemade oat milk but storebought is fine), cashew butter and applesauce as an egg replacement. It all worked very well yielding a tender cake with a rich buttery flavor. We used Miyoko’s vegan butter which really did a fantastic job. It behaves and tastes like dairy butter in the recipe, we even spread some on toast just to see if it really tastes like butter and it really does taste like BUTTER!
To give our vegan cake a sweet topping we used Muddy Pond Sorghum Syrup it’s similar to molasses but with a milder flavor. You can substitute a wide variety of sweeteners for sorghum. Use maple syrup, brown sugar, cane syrup or sugar in the raw syrup.
Homemade Oat Milk Recipe
1/2 cup of old fashioned oatmeal
2 cup of water
a pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of maple syrup (or sorghum since you’re using it in the recipe)
1/2 teaspoon of xantham gum (optional) to keep it from separating.
Combine these ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed for 2 minutes
Strain the mixture and it’s ready to use. This recipe is more than you’ll need for the apple upside down cake so refrigerate any leftovers.
[mv_create title=”Vegan Apple Upside Down Cake” key=”2″ type=”recipe”]
Vegan Apple Upside Down Cake
- 12 inch cast iron skillet
- 4 apples 3 will go on the top and 1 will go in the cake batter
- 3/4 cup vegan butter divided. 1/4 cup for the top and 1/2 cup in the cake
- 1/2 cup sorghum syrup you can substitute maple syrup, cane syrup or Sugar in the Raw Syrup for the Sorghum syrup
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 `teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup oat milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°
- Spread ¼ cup of softened vegan butter on the bottom of the cast iron skillet and pour the
sorghum syrup over it
- Peel the apples and cut 3 of them into 1/8-inch thick wedges
- Arrange sliced apples over the vegan butter and
syrup. Set this aside and make the cake batter.
- Cream ½ cup vegan butter with sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes
- Add applesauce, vanilla and lemon juice to the creamed vegan butter and mix until well incorporated.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and oat milk into the creamed butter. Start with 1/3 of the flour followed by 1/2 of the oat milk. Continue adding milk and flour until it's all incorporated.
- Shred the remaining apple and mix it into the batter.
- Pour the batter over the apples in the skillet and bake for 40 to 45 minutes
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. Carefully invert the cake onto a large cake plate or platter.