So, now that we’ve made our own bacon what can we do with it? Bacon is delicious by itself but it pairs so well with a ton of other ingredients. In this recipe I used bacon to combine with fried oysters, sweet potatoes, corn and spinach to make a delicious dish.
Bacon and Fried Oysters
- 1- 6 ounce sweet potato cut into 1/4 inch dice
- olive oil
- 1 cup of corn kernels
- 8 ounces of spinach washed and dried
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 ounces of bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces of oysters
- 1/2 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle sweet potatoes with olive oil and roast until tender about 15 minutes.
- Add in corn, mix the corn in the olive oil and sweet potato and return to the oven until warm.In a skillet cook the bacon pieces until the bacon is crisp and the fat is rendered.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and reserve it for the finished dish. Keep the bacon fat in the skillet to cook the oysters.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a skillet and bring to medium heat.
- Smash the clove of garlic and add to the oil.
- Add the spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Cook the oysters last. Mix cornmeal, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Dredge the drained oysters in the cornmeal mixture and fry the oysters in hot bacon fat ( you may need to add some additional oil if the bacon fat isn't enough) for 1 ½ to 2 minutes each side until golden brown .
oysters frying in bacon fat