Celebrate INTERNATIONAL BACON DAY or any day with this BACON KETTLE CORN RECIPE. Bacon kettle corn is a smoky, salty, sweet treat that’s the perfect movie night snack.
I use my homemade bacon that I cure and smoke myself (HERE’S THE RECIPE FOR HOMEMADE BACON FROM SCRATCH) but your favorite store bought, thick cut bacon will work for this. I like the combination of rosemary and bacon but there are so many other flavors you can add. Some grated Parmesan cheese would be great with the bacon and rosemary. Fresh cracked pepper and cinnamon would also be great flavors with this. Simply toss the seasonings with the freshly popped pop corn and serve.
I used a 10 quart stainless steel stock pot but a Whirley Pop Pop corn maker works great for this. My friend has one and makes it easy to stir the popcorn during popping. Here’s a link to that.
Rosemary Bacon Kettle Corn
- 4 strips of bacon about 4 ounces total
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup un-popped popcorn kernels
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- Chop the bacon into 1/4 inch slices
- Add the bacon to a cold pan then turn the heat up to medium
- Cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the heat , drain the bacon and reserve the fat
- IN A CLEAN, HEAVY BOTTOMED POT that is at least 10 quarts
- Add canola oil, and three popcorn kernels into the pot
- ( these three kernels are used to test the heat of your oil),
- Cover and heat over medium flame. When the popcorn kernels start to pop your oil is ready to add the rest of the popcorn kernels, sugar and salt. Cover and shake the pot to keep the kernels from burning, carefully moving the pot off and on the heat.
- Cook for about three minutes or until the popping slows down to 2-3 kernels per second
- Remove from the heat, stir the popcorn to break up clumps and pour the popcorn into a separate bowl
- Stir in the cooked bacon, 1 tablespoon of bacon fat (if you like) and rosemary
Check out this FANTASTIC International Bacon Day Post From FOOD.LOVE.TOG!