Here’s another low carbohydrate recipe for you, I’m on a roll…well not a roll because rolls have too many carbs…what were we talking about? Oh yes, this low carb Braised Chicken Thighs with Cauliflower and Asparagus recipe. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs cook quickly allowing you to get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Cauliflower braises in the chicken broth util it’s crisp/tender and absorbs the richness of the broth. It gives the dish the “starchy” component similar to a potato but with a much lower carbohydrate count.
Add the asparagus in the last 5 minutes of cooking so they can quickly steam. If you cook them much longer they’ll become much too soft and mushy.
I like to cook a few more chicken thighs than the recipe calls for so I can have leftovers to make chicken and cauliflower hash the next morning. Just chop the chicken into a few smaller pieces and saute the leftovers in vegetable oil and top with a fried egg.
Braised Chicken Thighs with Cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower separated into florets
- 1 bunch asparagus chopped into 1 inch pieces
- Season the chicken thighs with the salt, granulated garlic and turmeric.
- Heat your pan with 2 teaspoons of oil
- Brown the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side. You may have to do this in batches.
- Remove the chicken to a separate plate
- Saute the onion and red pepper in the oil left in the pan until they are translucent. Reduce the heat and add the garlic and saute for 1 minute more
- Add the chicken broth and turn the heat up to a simmer.
- Add the cauliflower and top with the chicken, pour in any chicken juices accumulated
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the asparagus, cover and steam for 5 more minutes