How to cook flank steak
Flank steak is a lean cut of beef that makes a great weeknight meal with very little effort. Just season it, sear it and slice it thin. That’s it, you’re done.
How to cook flank steak
I’ll show you in just a few easy steps. I also did a Facebook live How to Cook Flank Steak demonstration, you can watch that below:
I score my flank steak before I cook it, Iit gives a bit more surface area for the seasoning to stick. It’s not a big deal, you can skip that step if you like. If you want to try it just slice shallow cuts diagonally across the meat. Rub your seasoning blend into the meat and into the cuts
You can also marinate your flank steak for up to a day. Use a mixture of 2 smashed garlic cloves, a sprig of rosemary, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Put it all in a zip top bag and let it chill in the fridge overnight turning a few times. Pull it out of the marinade (boil the marinade for 5 minutes to make a sauce) and pat it dry. Let the flank steak sit at room temperature for an hour before cooking. Season the flank steak with salt and pepper and sear it on the stove top or grill it over direct heat
Sear the flank steak for about 4-5 minutes per side over high heat on an oiled griddle or cast iron skillet (you may have to cut it to fit it in the pan).
Place the flank steak on a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes. While the flank steak is resting I add some onions and mushrooms to the hot griddle to serve with the flank steak.
That’s it, you’re done. Slice it thin (less than 1/2 inch) against the grain and serve it on tortillas or in a big bowl of rice with roasted vegetables. Put an egg on top and put it on Instagram, you’ll look like a genius.
Flank steak is a lean cut of beef and is best if cooked about medium rare (medium for me, please)
How to cook flank steak - The short answer is HOT and FAST
- 2-3 pound flank steak
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon course ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander optional
- 2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
- Remove the flank steak from the refrigerator 1 hour before you are ready to cook if you have time.
- Score the flank steak (optional)
- Mix the spices together and rub it on both sides of the flank steak
- Heat the griddle or pan with the oil
- You may have to cut the flank steak in half to fit it into the pan
- Cook the flank steak for 4-5 minutes per side until it reaches your desired doneness
- Remove the flank steak to a cutting board, tent it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes
- Slice the flank steak against the grain no more than 1/2 an inch thick