I grew up with two brothers but no sisters. Through the North Fulton, GA chapter of Mocha Moms I now have about 80 sisters and I am so thankful for them all. Last night my sisters and I had a wonderful evening of chatting, chocolate and cooking.
I was honored to have the pleasure of doing a cooking demo for about 30 ladies, but what to cook for such a large group with diverse tastes and dietary needs. This cauliflower gratin relies on vegan “cream cheese” for it’s creamy sauce and nutritional yeast for it’s cheesy taste. If you need a GLUTEN FREE version of this recipe leave off the panko gratin topping, replace them with potato chips and enjoy.
Cauliflower Casserole for my Sisters
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup diced carrot
- 1 cup red bell chopped pepper
- ¼ chopped celery
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 1 head of cauliflower about 4 cups
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 4 teaspoons of nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup vegan panko bread crumbs or potato chips
- Sauté onions, carrot, red bell pepper and celery in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil until softened.
- Add lemon juice, water and cauliflower to the pan.
- Stir to mix all vegetables together and cover the pan.
- Steam on low for about 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Stir vegan cream cheese, 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast and salt to taste into the cauliflower.
- In a bowl, mix panko crumbs, 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and sprinkle on top of cauliflower.
- Broil for 1 minute or so (watch it closely) until the topping is browned