Chicken Thighs Smothered in Vidalia Onion Gravy 15 minute Meals.Sponsored post
Dinner in 15 minutes! Chicken Thighs Smothered in Vidalia Onion Gravy
Quick cooking chicken thighs are the key to this fast and DELICIOUS dinner. You have to work quickly but with a little effort you can have this tasty recipe on the table in no time. I use natural Sanderson Farms chicken because they don’t add any sodium to artificially plump up their birds. I like to season my recipes with my own spice blends and I don’t want to worry about additional sodium pumped into my chicken. Be sure to read those labels, folks.
Start your grits
Bring the salted water to boil for your grits. If you use a wide saucepan the water boils a lot faster than if you use a tall, narrow pot. Stir in the grits and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and reserve the grits until the chicken is ready.
I use quick grits for fast dinner prep. I love long cooked stone ground grits too but on a weeknight there just isn’t time. If you have time on the weekend you can spend 40 minutes to an hour cooking a double batch of stone ground grits and save some to reheat for a weeknight dinner.
Chop the chicken
While the water for your grits is coming to a boil get the chicken started.
Start with boneless/skinless chicken thighs and cut them into 1 inch pieces. With a sharp knife this should only take a minute or two. Toss the chicken in the seasonings and cornstarch and saute it all in oil.
Chop the Vidalia onion
I use sweet, Georgia grown Vidalia onions from Bland Farms Right after you add the chicken to the pan chop the onion and add it to the pan. Saute it all together for about 5 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, roasted red peppers and chicken broth to the pan. Cover and let it simmer for 8 minutes on medium heat.
Chicken Thighs Smothered in Vidalia Onion Gravy
- 2 pounds boneless/skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 Vidalia onion or 3 baby Vidalia onions with green stems
- 2 cloves of garlic
- one 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 2 cups pre-washed baby spinach
- 1 and 1/3 cup yellow or white quick grits
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Bring the water and salt to boil and add the grits. Simmer for 5 minutes
- While waiting for the water to boil chop the chicken thighs into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large/wide pan
- Toss the chicken thighs in the spices and cornstarch and saute the chicken thighs in the oil.
- Chop the Vidalia onions and add them to the pan. Cook over medium/high heat for 5 minutes
- Stir in the chopped garlic and saute for 30 seconds
- Pour in the tomatoes, chicken broth and roasted red peppers
- Simmer for 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the spinach and serve over grits with butter
[…] My class was at 9:30 in the morning so wanted to start with a dish that could be served for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. We had Sanderson Farms chicken thighs smothered in gravy made with Bland Farms Vidalia Onions. GET THE RECIPE HERE […]