Sometimes you need just plain cornbread for stuffing …or dressing (what do YOU call if?) Well here is my recipe basic cornbread recipe.
Although this is just plain cornbread we don’t skimp on ingredients. High quality cornmeal delivers delicious flavor, buttermilk makes it tender and just a little tangy and fresh, local eggs hold the whole thing together. I make this recipe gluten free so when I use it for my cornbread stuffing recipe at Thanksgiving I can serve my gluten free friends.
I know you’re used to seeing elaborate twists on cornbread recipes around here, like this Upside Down Vidalia Onion Cornbread recipes I made. This is still my most popular recipe by far, it’s always a favorite at potluck dinners.
This stunning Bacon Upside Down Jalapeno Cornbread recipe is another winner. I mean just look at this thing, IT’S GORGEOUS.
Sometimes you don’t need a fancy cornbread, you need something simple but still delicious. The leftovers a FANTASTIC with milk and honey. Have you ever eaten cornbread like that. My Mom used to have this for an inexpensive breakfast as a girl growing up in the South. If you toast it a little before adding the milk it’s a real special treat.
Cornbread....just plain cornbread Gluten Free Buttermilk Cornbread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Parchment paper
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with non stick cooking spray and line it with parchment paper (or you can just butter the pan if you like)
- In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Blend well
- Beat buttermilk and eggs together
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Pour into prepared baking pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 -25 minutes. until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean