Shirataki Noodle Recipe
Miracle Noodle Shirataki noodles are a fantastic calorie free, gluten free, very low carb, vegan, soy free addition to your menu. Shirataki noodles have been popular in Japan and China for many years but Miracle Noodle brand Shirataki noodles are made right here in the good old USA.
How can a low carbohydrate, gluten free, calorie free food exist, you may ask. It’s made out of glucomannan from devil’s tongue yams an indigestible dietary fiber. Miracle Noodles come packed in liquid, they need to be drained, rinsed and blanched in boiling water for one minute. There are other shirataki noodles that are made out of tofu so be sure to check the label if you are concerned about soy. Here’s a recipe with Tofu Shirataki Noodle Carbonara With BACON and Spinach.
Garlic and Greens Shirataki Noodle Recipe
The noodles have very little flavor of their own so feel free to dress them as you like. For the recipe below I sauteed broccoli greens (yes, that’s a thing you can buy now-they’re very similar to collard greens. Kale would work beautifully as well) with bell peppers, and garlic. I tossed the Angel Hair Miracle Noodles with the greens to make a delicious vegan meal. Add chicken, beef or fish like I did in this recipe for Cobia en Papillote with Shirataki noodles and Cobia Cracklin’s. The noodles have a chewy texture that doesn’t break down during cooking, they even reheat well.
I’ve found Miracle Noodle Shirataki Noodles in my local grocery store but If you can’t find them near you order them from Amazon.
One little note, since the noodles are made from an indigestible dietary fiber they can cause a bit of stomach discomfort for some. I didn’t notice any difference but my husband says he did. Nothing serious, he liked the noodles a lot and says he’d like to have them again.
Shirataki Noodles with Sauteed Greens and Peppers
- 2 packages shirataki noodles
- 2 tablespoons of canola or olive oil
- 2 cups kale or broccoli greens or any green leafy vegetable you like
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Shred the greens into 1/4 inch strips
- Slice the bell pepper into 1/4 inch strips
- Slice the garlic cloves thin
- Saute the greens and bell pepper in canola oil for 5-7 minutes
- Add the garlic, season with salt and pepper
- Drain and rinse the noodles for 15 seconds
- Blanch the shirataki noodles in the boiling water for 1 minute and drain
- Add the noodles to the sauteed greens and bell peppers