Okay, I started the New Year off with a BANG…and by bang I mean with this Dulce De Leche Dark Chocolate Fudge recipe, but now it’s time to eat a bit more sensibly. It’s hard for me to reign in my appetite sometimes (I know some of you can relate to this) so the easiest way for me to make better choices is by adding something indulgent to a light meal. Crab is definitely a luxury item but its fairly low in calories so adding it along with creamy avocado to this healthy salad makes me feel so satisfied. This salad uses about 4 ounces of lump crab meat for about 120 calories.
One medium avocado has about 250 calories, half of the avocado ( or less if you want to reduce calories) is sliced into the salad and the other half is blended with cayenne pepper to make a spicy dressing. I like my dressing thick but you can add more water to make it pour-able. You probably won’t use all of the dressing so save the rest for a sandwich spread or veggie dip for lunch the next day.
The Asian pear stays crunchy when it’s ripe but it gets VERY juicy and sweet. Sometimes its called an apple pear because of it’s shape. If you can’t find it in your grocery store you can substitute a Bosc pear or jicama.
Crab Salad with Spicy Avocado Dressing
- 1 avocado
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar more if you like an acidic dressing
- 1/4 water or more to get a pour-able dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1/2 Asian Pear chopped
- 4 ounces lump crab
- Make the dressing. Peel and seed the avocado
- Puree half the avocado with apple cider vinegar, water, salt, pepper and cayenne (makes about 1/3 cup of dressing, just use a tablespoon or so)
- Make your salad with the rest of the ingredients. Add a couple slices from the other half of the avocado