This Slow cooked pork with cabbage, ginger and apples is a mash-up of two recipes that I absolutely LOVE. It’s perfect for my low carb/Whole30 meal plan.
First, make the slow cooked pork
In the original recipe for the slow cooked crispy skin pork pork butt is well-seasoned slow-roasted and then in the last few minutes of rest and cook at a very high heat for that the skin.
For this dish I skipped the last step of crackling the skin and cooked the pork butt in a slow cooker, you could also do cook this covered with aluminum foil in your oven. In a few hours it becomes amazingly soft and tender. After it was finished cooking I sliced the pork and browned it in a skillet to serve with the cabbage dish. The pork butt is a large piece of meat so there’s plenty left over to eat over the rest of the week. For lunch the next day I had some pork butt and the amazing broth it makes with some kale added to it , it made an amazing soup.
Next, Saute your vegetables
For the cabbage dish, caramelize an onion with some sliced carrots. Add a few cups of cabbage with a little water for steam and let it soften. Slice an apple and saute it with the cabbage. Season with salt, pepper and ginger.
Slow cooked pork with carrots and apples
- 6 pound pork picnic shoulder
- 2 tablespoons of dried garlic peices or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 head of regular or savoy cabbage
- 4 carrots
- 1 inch piece of ginger or 1 teaspoon of powdered ginger
- 1 gala apple
- 2 tablespoon of grapeseed or canola oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- salt and pepper
- Rinse off the pork shoulder and pat dry.
- Make the spice blend-combine salt. pepper, garlic and oregano
- Cut deep slits all around the pork and stuff the fresh spice blend inside the slits and all over the pork butt
- Place the pork in the roasting pan and pour in the chicken broth.
- Cover the roasting pan with foil
- Roast the pork at 300° for 5-6 hours until it becomes tender and reaches an internal temperature of 185°. Remove the pork from the oven.
- When the pork is done, make the cabbage in a separate pan
- Slice the onion, cabbage and peeled carrots
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Cook the onion over medium heat until it’s caramelized.
- Add carrots and cook until they are tender and a little bit brown.
- Add sliced cabbage and water to the pan and stir. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat until everything is tender and liquid has cooked out. Slice the apple. Push the contents of the pan to one side; add the apple to the empty side and sauté until golden. Add salt, pepper and ginger to taste
- (OPTIONAL) Slice off as much pork as you need for the meal and brown it on both sides in a skillet
- Serve the pork and cabbage together
[…] wanted a slaw to go with it. I cobbled something together that I liked okay, but I think this Cabbage Ginger Apple slaw was really the flavor profile I wanted (that link includes a bonus pork shoulder recipe). This slaw […]