THIS GLUTEN FREE APPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE WITH SORGHUM GLAZE WAS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. GLUTEN FREE COOKING IS A FAIRLY NEW VENTURE FOR ME. I WANTED TO BRING A DELICIOUS DESSERT FOR A FRIEND THAT EATS GLUTEN FREE BUT I WANTED SOMETHING ALL THE GUESTS WOULD ENJOY
A small group of my nerdy friends and I (I’m a nerd too and proud of it) have a science fiction movie night once a month. We rotate hosting duties, the host couple makes a meal and the rest of us bring an appetizer, dessert or some libation, making a fun evening for us all. I wanted to bring a dessert that we would all enjoy including our hostess for the evening who doesn’t eat gluten. I’ve tried a few gluten free baked goods and hadn’t been happy with any of them. After doing some online research I decided to try King Arthur Flour Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix, 22 Ounce
This is NOT a sponsored post, I just like the product. The above link is an affiliate link. The secret to making a gluten free cake that everyone will love is to use King Arthur Flour Gluten Free Cake Mix. I was beyond happy with the taste and texture of this cake. The cake was so incredibly moist and tender, two things I hadn’t associated with gluten free baking.
I baked the cake in a cast iron skillet like the one I used to make this VIDALIA ONION UPSIDE DOWN BROCCOLI CORNBREAD.
Lodge L10SK3 Pre-Seasoned Skillet, 12-Inch
You can’t beat a cast iron skillet for making the most amazing caramelized crust on breads and cakes. When you bake an upside down cake in a cast iron pan the butter and sugar (in this case sorghum syrup) caramelize and partially soak into the cake as its baking. The rest of the buttery syrup glazes the outside of the cake and give you a fantastic sweet crust
Sorghum syrup has a rich, almost buttery flavor with a slight lemony or citrus notes. I love the deep flavor sorghum adds to baked goods Muddy Pond Pure Sorghum 16 Fluid Ounces, Pint
I spread softened butter over the bottom of the cast iron skillet, poured sweet sorghum syrup over that, layered thinly sliced apples on top of that, poured in the cake batter and baked. It was glorious. Moist, tender cake with caramelized apples clinging to the top….what could be better?
Here’s a little video of me flipping the gluten free apple upside down cake out of the pan. Let the cake cool a bit before you take it out of the pan and use oven mitts or kitchen towels to protect yourself from the heat. Be careful and do this at your own risk.
Gluten Free Apple Upside Down Cake
- YOU WILL NEED 1 AND 1/2 STICKS TOTAL OF SOFTENED BUTTER FOR THIS RECIPE
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick softened butter
- 3/4 cup sorghum syrup you can substitute maple syrup or brown sugar
- 3 apples I used Gala
- 1 box Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix I used King Arthur Flour Gluten Free Yellow Cake MIx
- 1/2 cup one stick of softened butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup of milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spread 1/4 cup of softened butter on the bottom of the cast iron skillet
- Pour the sorghum syrup over the butter. Try to cover as much of the butter as possible
- Peel, core and slice the apples about 1/4 inch thick
- Spread the apples over the sorghum syrup
- Mix the cake batter according to package directions
- Pour the batter over the apples
- bake for 35-40 minutes
- Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Cover the pan with a lager plate or platter and USING OVEN MITTS carefully flip the pan and plate over
- Remove the pan and serve
gluten free apple upside down cake