Kale Crusted Shrimp! This low carb ketogenic diet friendly recipe is simple and absolutely delicious.
So I’ve been on this ketogenic diet (less than 20 grams of carbohydrates a day) for about two and a half weeks now and I’m doing really well. Fourteen pounds gone so far but still a long way to go. That’s okay, I’ll just keep moving in the right direction with delicious recipes like this.
I was having a craving for salt and pepper shrimp which is such a tasty treat. I love it because it’s so crunchy. Usually you would dredge shrimp with the shell on in cornstarch salt and pepper and then fry it but cornstarch has too many carbs for me. I was thinking of what I could use to make a crunchy coating when I thought of my friend the Queen of Kale and her delicious Spicy Pepper Kale Chips. I picked up a 1-ounce bag, which only has 11 grams of carbohydrate in it, ground it finely in my food processor and used that as a coating for my shell on shrimp.
Let me tell you folks, it was absolutely delicious! Queen of Kale Spicy Pepper Kale Chips are the perfect flavor to season my shrimp. All I did was dip some shell on shrimp in egg whites, press them in the ground kale chips and fry them for a few minutes. It’s just that simple.
Unfortunately the kale chips lose their beautify green color during frying but the keep their delicious taste.
This is not a sponsored post I just really like these kale chips and the Queen of Kale happens to be a friend of mine!
I’ve had a difficult time getting the nutritional information on shrimp shells so I’m not sure exactly how many carbs they have. Shrimp shells contain glucosamine which is great for our joints.
Kale Crusted Shrimp Ketogenic, Low Carb Recipe
- 1 ounce kale chips I used Queen of Kale Spicy Pepper Flavor
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pound medium shrimp with the tail on
- salt if necessary
- vegetable canola or other neutral flavored oil for frying
- Grind the kale chips in a food processor until you get a fine powder
- Beat the egg whites
- Dip the shell on shrimp into the egg whites, the into the kale chips
- Heat about a half inch of oil in a frying pan until 350 degrees
- Fry the shrimp on both sides until brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side
- Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with salt if necessary and serve hot