Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Sweet Potatoes and Pomegranate is a dish I’ve been imagining ever since I found out that rainbow carrots were a thing. Carrots come in such beautiful colors and now these colorful beauties are more easily found in local grocery stores. The bunch I bought had the common orange carrots as well as purple, yellow and white carrots. The white carrots are incredibly sweet. If you don’t see them on the shelves ask the manager to order them. Roasting vegetables brings out their natural sweetness and the texture gets creamy, they become almost like vegetable caramel.
I created this recipe for this Whole30 diet plan I’ve been (kinda) following for the last few weeks. I must admit I’ve been struggling and failing to stick to this restrictive diet that bans sugar, dairy, beans, soy and grains among other things.
Before roasting the vegetables I coated them in a bit of ghee- Indian inspired, toasted, clarified butter- here are the directions to make ghee. The ghee has a toasty flavor that adds some depth to the dish. Ghee is allowed on the plan because the milk solids are strained out after the butter is cooked. Adding a sprinkle of fresh herbs at the end of cooking brightens the flavor. Pomegranate arils and juice add sweetness and acidity. I also added some sweet potato and shallot…just because I had a few that needed to be used. Parsnips would have also been an excellent addition to this dish.
I served this along side some roast chicken on a week night but it would be a fantastic side for a Christmas or Thanksgiving meal
Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Sweet Potatoes and Pomegranate
- 2 pounds of carrots. If you can find several different colors of carrots its even prettier
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes
- 5 shallots
- 2 tablespoons of ghee. You can substitute vegetable oil and add 1 tablespoon of butter after roasting
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 pomegranate
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Wash, dry and peel the carrots. If they are less than a 1/2 inch thick you can leave them whole. If they are larger you can cut them down
- I didn't peel the sweet potato. Cut each sweet potato into 6-8 slices
- Peel the shallots
- Add all of the vegetables to a sheet pan lined with foil
- Add the ghee, salt and pepper. Toss the vegetables to coat.
- Roast for 30 -40 minutes turning occasionally. All the vegetables should be tender
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and place on a serving platter or individual plates
- Sprinkle with herbs
- Cut the pomegranate in half and squeeze over the vegetables.