Thanks to Wisebread.com for including my Bacon Project post in their post http://www.wisebread.com/13-foods-you-should-make-yourself (I’m number 6, YAY!)
I grew up with two brothers but no sisters. Through the North Fulton, GA chapter of Mocha Moms I now have about 80 sisters and I am so thankful for them all. Last night my sisters and I had a wonderful evening of chatting, chocolate and cooking.
I was honored to have the pleasure of doing a cooking demo for about 30 ladies, but what to cook for such a large group with diverse tastes and dietary needs. This cauliflower gratin relies on vegan “cream cheese” for it’s creamy sauce and nutritional yeast for it’s cheesy taste. If you need a GLUTEN FREE version of this recipe leave off the panko gratin topping, replace them with potato chips and enjoy.
Cauliflower Casserole for my Sisters
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup diced carrot
- 1 cup red bell chopped pepper
- ¼ chopped celery
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 1 head of cauliflower about 4 cups
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 4 teaspoons of nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup vegan panko bread crumbs or potato chips
- Sauté onions, carrot, red bell pepper and celery in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil until softened.
- Add lemon juice, water and cauliflower to the pan.
- Stir to mix all vegetables together and cover the pan.
- Steam on low for about 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Stir vegan cream cheese, 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast and salt to taste into the cauliflower.
- In a bowl, mix panko crumbs, 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and sprinkle on top of cauliflower.
- Broil for 1 minute or so (watch it closely) until the topping is browned
Glazed Chicken Thighs with Pineapple Relish. I cook a LOT of chicken as you can see from this blog. What can I say, chicken is delicious (more…)
So, I made roasted broccoli for dinner the other day and I have about 2 cups leftover roasted broccoli. It’s time to remix that into a delicious new meal. Here it is:
|1 pound of spaghetti
2 cups roasted broccoli
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup half and half
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
Red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
2 beaten eggs
|Boil pasta until al-dente. While the pasta is boiling, sauté the broccoli in the olive oil.Drain the pasta (save about a cup of the pasta water) add the pasta to the broccoli.Add half and half and bring the pasta to a simmer. Add the parmesan cheese , salt, pepper and red pepper flakes then remove from heat. Stir in the two beaten eggs , if the sauce is too thick you can thin it with the pasta water (just add a little bit at a time)Serve immediately with a little more grated parmesan if you like.
Roasted Broccoli is one of my favorite side dishes for dinner because it’s so healthy, simple and delicious (more…)
I just completed my latest “CHALLENGE”!! We finished shooting a video looking at all aspects of these two very different chickens. Price is a HUGE factor as well as taste. We’re editing the video right now so stay tuned to see how it all pans out!!
So, now that we’ve made our own bacon what can we do with it? Bacon is delicious by itself but it pairs so well with (more…)
The homemade bacon is so thick and delicious, you can really sink your teeth into it. It’s moist and juicy inside but crisp on the outside….the store bought bacon has no inside so there is really no comparison.
The homemade bacon has a rich smoky flavor but it’s not too strong, you can really taste the slightly sweet flavor of the pork as well. Unfortunately the flavor of the store bought bacon was weak and wimpy, there was not much to it at all.
So the verdict is : I will take a little effort and a bit of time to make my bacon at home. It is TOTALLY worth it.
Learn how to Cure and Smoke Your own Bacon, plus get my favorite Pancake Recipe
How to Cure and Smoke Your own Bacon
It’s not difficult to learn how to cure and smoke your own bacon. It just takes a few ingredients and some patience (more…)
Previous 1 … 33 34 35 36 Next